Land that job!
Below are some helpful steps:
- Write a strong resume
- Apply for teaching positions on Edjoin.org
- Be prepared for interviews
HR departments view hundreds of resumes. Here are some helpful sites to make sure yours stands out:
- The Ultimate Guide to Writing an Effective Cover Letter, Terra Staffing Group
- Resume Tips For Teachers, by Kim Isaacs, Monster Resume Expert
- Teacher Resume Tips and Tricks, by Katie Fretwell, Simply Creative Teaching
- Teacher Resume Samples, by Live Career
- Teacher Resume Writing Tips, by Candace Alstad-Davies, A+ Resumes for Teachers
- Developing a Teaching Resume & Cover Letter, by A to Z Teacher Stuff Tips for Teachers
- 8 Resume Tips Just for Teachers, by Emily Hopkins, We Are Teachers
- Finding a New and Better Job in Education, by Oliver Schinkten, Edutopia
- Resume Resources, by ZipRecruiter
- Resume Training and Templates, by ZipRecruiter
- Teacher Resume Example (Job Description, Skills & Tips), by Novoresume
- Only 2% of resumes make it past the first round. Be in the top 2%, by Resume.io
- How to Write a Resume for a Job [Professional Writing Guide], By Zety
- 25+ Free Resume Templates to Download in 2022 [All Formats], By Zety
- Key Skills for a Resume (List of 99+ Examples for All Jobs), By Zety
Resume tips from the TCSJ Staff:
- Proof read resume and cover letter
- Make sure the cover letter is addressed to the correct person and personalized to the school/district
EdJOIN.org is the primary website where employers post their job openings. Make sure to check edjoin regularly to view new postings.
- STEP 1: Register for an account and create your profile (this information will be supplied automatically when you apply for a position, but you will still have the option to change the information).
STEP 2: Search and apply for open teaching positions (as an intern teacher, you are
the teacher of record).
- Search by district, region, or advanced search by subject area.
- Review the job posting & click on "Click Here to Apply."
- STEP 3: Personal Information (this information will be supplied automatically when you apply for a position, but you will still have the option to change the information).
STEP 4: Credentials:
- Select Credential Type: Select "District Intern Credential" and leave expiration date blank (when all intern eligible requirements are met and you secure a teaching position, you will process a "University Intern Credential" at TCSJ, however this option is not currently available on edjoin.org).
- Select your Certificate of Compliance Subject Area(s): This refers to Subject Matter Competency (i.e. CSET), so select what CSET(s) you completed or will be completing.
- Credential Indicators: Select if you have a teaching credential.
- Applied for Credential: Indicate here that you are earning your credential at Teachers College of San Joaquin (leave date blank).
Tests, Certifications, and Programs:
- Select what exams you have passed.
- Check that you are applying for the "Intern" Program.
- Extracurricular: Indicate any other activities you are qualified for.
- STEP 5: Employment (this information will be supplied automatically when you apply for a position, but you will still have the option to change the information).
- STEP 6: References (this information will be supplied automatically when you apply for a position, but you will still have the option to change the information).
- STEP 7: Education (this information will be supplied automatically when you apply for a position, but you will still have the option to change the information).
STEP 8: Attachments (Make sure to re-attach your documents EVERY TIME you apply for a
job. Docs are not automatically uploaded when you apply).
- Copy of Transcripts: In addition to uploading your Bachelors Degree and City/Junior College transcripts, also upload your TCSJ transcripts.
- Credential Copy: Upload your "Intern Eligible" or Program letter.
- English Learner Authorization: The EL Authorization is embedded in TCSJ's Credential Program. This is also indicated on your letter from TCSJ.
- Letter of Introduction: Remember to tailor your letter of introduction to every job you apply for. We also recommend that you indicate your current status at TCSJ (i.e. On April 22, 2016, I completed the Pre-Service coursework at TCSJ,and have passed the CBEST and all subtests of the multiple subject CSET. Attached you will find my intern eligible letter).
- Letters of Recommendation: Get 3 CURRENT letters of recommendation. Letters from people that have observed/supervised your teaching would be ideal.
- Resume: View the articles above for resume tips.
- Test Results/Materials: Upload you CBEST, CSET, etc. test scores.
- STEP 9: Signature
- STEP 10: Submit Application
You created a great resume, applied on edjoin, and now you got a call to come in for an interview. Yay! Check out the articles below to make sure you go in prepared so you can land the job.
- 6 Common Interview Questions and How to Answer Them, by Tim Winterview, TeachHub.com
- The Interview:Principals Share 30 Favorite Questions For Future Teachers, by Education World
- Things to Say and Do at that First Teaching Job Interview, by Dr. Bob Kizlik, ADPRIMA
Interview tips from the TCSJ Staff:
- Maintain eye contact
- Avoid saying filler words like "um", "ah", "like"
- Professional attire
- Smile and try to relax